Summer music camps enable musicians to hone their skills, learn new techniques and explore new styles. A look at five summer programs in Alberta.
It's so hard to think about practicing in the summer. Even teachers go through this "I don't want to practice, I want to play!" phase. But there are ways to keep music practice in the summer quite fun. Composing and improvising are a couple of ways. Summer Music Camp is another.
Here is a handy article, citing the benefits of Summer Music Camp.
For a sampling of summer music camps in North America, click here.
In the Calgary Area, visit the Calgary Arts Summer School Association.
(c) 2007 by Musespeak(tm), Calgary, AB, Canada. All rights reserved.
Parents, if you're looking for a summer activity for the young artist in your life, check out some of these summer music programs throughout Alberta:
- Calgary Arts Summer School Association: Now in its thirteenth year, CASSA is enjoying steady growth and a long list of happy campers. The Piano Camp is fully booked but there are still spaces available in the Musical Theatre Showtime; Music, Drama, Movement & Art; Music Theory Workshop and Piano Pedagogy Workshop.
- Mount Royal College - The Conservatory: The Conservatory is offering: a Drumset Educational Program, Head Start Band Program, Intermediate Band Program, Kodaly Musicianship, Morningside Music Bridge, Music with Your Baby, Organ Academy International Summer School, Summer Jazz Workshop and Summer String Academy.
- University of Lethbridge: Summer programs offered in Kindermusik, Drama, Art and more!
- Red Deer College: RDC offers MusiCamp Alberta, for students age 10 and up. Students can experience fiddling, piano, choir, band, Adult Concert Band and musical theatre.
- Macewan College: offers summer workshops in music, art and new media.
If you hear of any arts related summer programs that you think should be added to the list, please let me know.
(c) 2006 by Musespeak(tm), Calgary, AB, Canada. All rights reserved.