- University clubs: Check to see if you have a "Japanese Conversation and Culture Club" on campus.
- Form a study group with your classmates. You can meet up in person, or try a "virtual" study group via Skype, Google Hangouts, FaceTime, etc.
- Meetup.com: Check out "Japanese Language and Culture Meetup Groups"
- Become involved with your local Japanese community association. The Calgary Japanese Community Association is pretty active and many of the older members are helpful when you try to speak Japanese.
- Youths can check out the Japanese Youth Association of Calgary.
Although many of the links are Calgary-specific, you can check online to see if there is a similar group in your area.