One of my classmates from the Calgary Japanese Language School once told me that there are over 300 Japanese Restaurants in Calgary, Alberta. It would take years to try them all. Out of that list, there are a handful that my friends and I like to eat at. This is a list of my top 10 Calgary Japanese Restaurants in alphabetical order:
- Cerezo Cafe & Bar (1002 Edmonton Trail NE): Japanese tapas and desserts
- Fuji Yama (908 17 Avenue SW): Traditional and Japanese fusion cuisine
- Izumi Sushi House (100 - 10201 Southport Rd. SW): Traditional and Japanese fusion cuisine
- Li-Ao Sushi (2335 162 Ave SW): Traditional and fusion Japanese cuisine, dinner, lunch, take-out
- Misato (1851 Sirocco Dr. SW): Traditional Japanese cuisine, lunch, dinner, take-out
- Muku Japanese Ramen (326 14 St NW): Japanese Ramen
- Sakana Grill (116-2nd Avenue SW and 10 Crowfoot Circle NW): dinner, lunch, teppan, take-out
- Shikiji (1608 Centre St. NE): noodles and sushi
- Shogun Food Truck: Try the takoyaki! Book for your private or corporate function, catering or find the food truck out and about in Calgary.
- Wa’s Japanese Restaurant (1721 Centre St. N): Traditional Japanese cuisine
It's not quite the same as tasting these, but here are some photos of some of my favourite Japanese dishes:
Japanese Strawberry Shortcake from Cerezo Cafe & Bar
Miso Katsu from Cerezo Cafe & Bar
Miso Butter Ramen from Muku
The featured photo is takoyaki from the Shogun food truck. Next time you get a hankering for Japanese food, try out some of these places.
If there are any other Calgary Japanese restaurants you really like, please share!